Monday, December 1, 2008

Honey Wheat Bread

3 1/2 cups wheat flour
3 cups white flour
2 pkts yeast
1 T salt
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup shortening
2 1/4 cups very warm water
milled flax seed-optional

Directions:
In mixer mix wheat flour, yeast, salt, honey, shortening, and milled flax seed (I just sprinkle it in-maybe 1/4 cup).  Add water and mix for one minute on low then increase speed for another minute.  Scrape sides as needed.  Add white flour and mix until the dough pulls away from the sides of bowl.  Knead by hand for 10 minutes.  Place in bowl.  Either grease the top of the dough with shortening or cover to keep from drying out.  Allow to rise in bowl until doubles in size-about an hour.  Punch dough down, shape into two loaves, and place in greased loaf pans.  Grease the top of each loaf with shortening and allow to rise until double in size-about an hour- or has reached the desired size.  Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees.  Remove hot loaves from pans to keep from getting soggy.  Eat hot with butter or cool and eat later.

2 comments:

Lesli said...

I love this bread! I've been making it ever since we moved to Texas. At first I used wheat flour from the store and now I grind my own wheat. Its best fresh out of the oven, but good later too. We never have to buy bread because we always have this on hand. I usually keep one loaf out and slice the other one and freeze it for future use.

Kristin said...

Yummy! We love this bread, and when I make it, it does not last very long around our house. Miles even requests it as the bread for his sandwiches at lunch.